PRESS RELEASE – IMMEDIATE
London, 17th June 2015
Contact: Director – Kay Oldroyd / 07908 258 681 / email@example.com
YOUNG PEOPLE CHALLENGING WHO THEY ARE
Young people from across the UK have had their poems published in a new book.
Youth in Excellence, a London-based social enterprise, ran a competition for 11 to 19-year-olds on the theme of “identity” and the best entries were selected to be featured in a publication, entitled Identity – The Anthology.
Kay Oldroyd, director of Youth in Excellence, said “The content and quality of the poems that we received was outstanding. What struck us was the maturity in which these young people tackled issues such as mental health; special needs; race; family; immigration and societal stereotypes.
“I would encourage parents, education professionals, youth and faith leaders and anyone who has a genuine interest in the well-being and development of youth to invest in a copy of the book.”
Identity – The Anthology is a collection of powerful words and poems which raises the question of “Who Am I?” The theme of identity can cause debate, conflict and tears within us as individuals and also outside in society. Being labelled and categorised, fitting in with stereotypes and pre-conceived ideas and judgements, it can be very difficult to find the real ‘Me’/ the real ‘You’.
This book however, brings a refreshing insight into the young, creative minds of today. Although faced with daily challenges and battles, they demonstrate a strong sense of compassion, justice, fairness and equality. With the cultural landscape of the UK changing, diversity is becoming the bedrock of future generations and the impact on their identity an interesting sociological aspect.
Youth in Excellence have designed a series of workshops for schools to use the book as a tool to create awareness and discussion around some of the issues facing young people and has a strong link to the PSHEE school curriculum.
On November 20, the group will host an event in London for Universal Children’s Day which will see the finalists of the poetry competition read out their poems and receive prizes, along with an art exhibition, musical performances and guest speakers.
Notes to editor:
* Youth in Excellence are a London based community interest company who offer personal development services, initiatives and training to young people, families, schools and communities. Information available at www.youthinexcellence.com
* The book ‘Identity – The Anthology’ is on sale at www.youthinexcellence.com/anthology for £8.96 + p&p. Organisations, schools and charities who wish to order 15 or more copies can receive a discount. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
* The school workshops will begin in September 2015. Request information and rates from email@example.com
* PSHE: Under section 78 of the Education Act 2002 and the Academies Act 2010 such a curriculum must:
- promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and
- prepare pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.